As part of our “makers” series, we’ll interview compelling creators of products we love and are giving away, like this fab Carmen Bikini from Kushcush. Meet the designer behind the brand, Kerry Cushman. Most well known for her stylish yet functional swimwear, her new collection boasts bright colors and retro styles. The new mother and designer took time out from her busy schedule to answer our questions.
WHAT DO YOU MAKE AND WHY?
1. I’m my happiest next to water. The beach, the pool…that’s my paradise. I create fashion-forward yet comfortable swimwear that hopefully brings women that relaxed, blissful state-of-mind of being on vacation (and not worrying about their suits!).
HOW DID YOU GET YOUR START?
2. I’ve been designing since I can remember. After college, I started working in advertising and after 7 years I decided it was now or never to follow my dream. So I quit my job and launched the line with my husband!
WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BREAK?
3. Before our first trade show, Womens Wear Daily called and requested some samples. They ended up running a huge picture of one of our suits in a swimwear story. Saks Fifth Avenue saw the article and requested a meeting. I flew to New York and my very first meeting was with Saks!
WHAT’S YOUR INSPIRATION?
4. Inspiration is everywhere! I love to travel so often it comes from our adventures. The line also has a bit of a vintage vibe, so past eras are always in the back of my mind…but really inspiration comes from anywhere. I remember sitting in traffic on the 10 freeway one day and the sun was shinning on the emerald green freeway signs. I’ve seen those signs a million times, but that day with the sun shinning, it totally caught my eye. I decided to do a whole emerald green story that season, who knew the inspiration came from sitting in LA traffic!
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT TO SAY?
5. Love your bikini! It’s the motto on each one of our swimsuits. Women always dread trying on swimwear, but I’d love a world where women feel confident and empowered by their bodies! By putting on a swimsuit that makes you feel good, hopefully we can help that effort just a little bit.